Confirming One’s Calling and Election

2 Peter 1:5-7 5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, September 1, 2026

1 Kings 3, Bible Reading and Daily Devotionals

Max Lucado Daily: BOUND BY SOVEREIGNTY - September 1, 2026

Do you recall the day God sent fire from heaven? The display of power occurred on Mount Carmel in the days of Elijah. The prophet laid the ground rules for the event: Your team has 450 prophets of Baal and 400 prophets of Asherah; my team has me. You ask Baal for fire, and I’ll ask Jehovah for fire “…and the God who answers by fire, He is God” (1 Kings 18:24 NASB).

And when it came time to blast a fire, the devil was powerless. No spark, no flames. In the decisive moment Baal was shown to be no match for the living God. Satan is impotent to defy the plans of God. He is bound by the ropes of God’s sovereignty, gagged by God’s righteous plan.

Unbreakable Courage

1 Kings 3

Solomon arranged a marriage contract with Pharaoh, king of Egypt. He married Pharaoh’s daughter and brought her to the City of David until he had completed building his royal palace and God’s Temple and the wall around Jerusalem. Meanwhile, the people were worshiping at local shrines because at that time no temple had yet been built to the Name of God. Solomon loved God and continued to live in the God-honoring ways of David his father, except that he also worshiped at the local shrines, offering sacrifices and burning incense.

4–5  The king went to Gibeon, the most prestigious of the local shrines, to worship. He sacrificed a thousand Whole-Burnt-Offerings on that altar. That night, there in Gibeon, God appeared to Solomon in a dream: God said, “What can I give you? Ask.”

6  Solomon said, “You were extravagantly generous in love with David my father, and he lived faithfully in your presence, his relationships were just and his heart right. And you have persisted in this great and generous love by giving him—and this very day!—a son to sit on his throne.

7–8  “And now here I am: God, my God, you have made me, your servant, ruler of the kingdom in place of David my father. I’m too young for this, a mere child! I don’t know the ropes, hardly know the ‘ins’ and ‘outs’ of this job. And here I am, set down in the middle of the people you’ve chosen, a great people—far too many to ever count.

9  “Here’s what I want: Give me a God-listening heart so I can lead your people well, discerning the difference between good and evil. For who on their own is capable of leading your glorious people?”

10–14  God, the Master, was delighted with Solomon’s response. And God said to him, “Because you have asked for this and haven’t grasped after a long life, or riches, or the doom of your enemies, but you have asked for the ability to lead and govern well, I’ll give you what you’ve asked for—I’m giving you a wise and mature heart. There’s never been one like you before; and there’ll be no one after. As a bonus, I’m giving you both the wealth and glory you didn’t ask for—there’s not a king anywhere who will come up to your mark. And if you stay on course, keeping your eye on the life-map and the God-signs as your father David did, I’ll also give you a long life.”

15  Solomon woke up—what a dream! He returned to Jerusalem, took his place before the Chest of the Covenant of God, and worshiped by sacrificing Whole-Burnt-Offerings and Peace-Offerings. Then he laid out a banquet for everyone in his service.

16–21  The very next thing, two prostitutes showed up before the king. The one woman said, “My master, this woman and I live in the same house. While we were living together, I had a baby. Three days after I gave birth, this woman also had a baby. We were alone—there wasn’t anyone else in the house except for the two of us. The infant son of this woman died one night when she rolled over on him in her sleep. She got up in the middle of the night and took my son—I was sound asleep, mind you!—and put him at her breast and put her dead son at my breast. When I got up in the morning to nurse my son, here was this dead baby! But when I looked at him in the morning light, I saw immediately that he wasn’t my baby.”

22  “Not so!” said the other woman. “The living one’s mine; the dead one’s yours.”

The first woman countered, “No! Your son’s the dead one; mine’s the living one.”

They went back and forth this way in front of the king.

23  The king said, “What are we to do? This woman says, ‘The living son is mine and the dead one is yours,’ and this woman says, ‘No, the dead one’s yours and the living one’s mine.’ ”

24  After a moment the king said, “Bring me a sword.” They brought the sword to the king.

25  Then he said, “Cut the living baby in two—give half to one and half to the other.”

26  The real mother of the living baby was overcome with emotion for her son and said, “Oh no, master! Give her the whole baby alive; don’t kill him!”

But the other one said, “If I can’t have him, you can’t have him—cut away!”

27  The king gave his decision: “Give the living baby to the first woman. Nobody is going to kill this baby. She is the real mother.”

28  The word got around—everyone in Israel heard of the king’s judgment. They were all in awe of the king, realizing that it was God’s wisdom that enabled him to judge truly.

Our Daily Bread reading and devotion
Tuesday, September 01, 2026
by Xochitl Dixon

TODAY'S SCRIPTURE
Acts 2:1-6, 36-37

A Sound Like a Strong Wind

1–4  2 When the Feast of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. Without warning there was a sound like a strong wind, gale force—no one could tell where it came from. It filled the whole building. Then, like a wildfire, the Holy Spirit spread through their ranks, and they started speaking in a number of different languages as the Spirit prompted them.

5–11  There were many Jews staying in Jerusalem just then, devout pilgrims from all over the world. When they heard the sound, they came on the run. Then when they heard, one after another, their own mother tongues being spoken, they were thunderstruck.

“All Israel, then, know this: There’s no longer room for doubt—God made him Master and Messiah, this Jesus whom you killed on a cross.”

37  Cut to the quick, those who were there listening asked Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers! Brothers! So now what do we do?”

Today's Insights
The Feasts of Weeks (Leviticus 23:15-22), known as the day of Pentecost in the New Testament (Acts 2:1), is one of the seven feasts or festivals God commanded His people to commemorate (see Leviticus 23). The Feast of Weeks, a spring harvest festival, is also one of the three major feasts where the worshipers were required to come to the temple in Jerusalem to offer their sacrifices (Deuteronomy 16:1-16). In the New Testament, the day of Pentecost was celebrated fifty days after Passover, the day Jesus died (John 18:28). It’s remembered as the birthday of the church, the day God gave the Holy Spirit to indwell believers in Christ and bonded His children into His family (Romans 8:15-16). Imitating the practices of the early church today, God’s people continue to grow as a community, fellowship together, joyfully worship Him, earnestly study the Bible, lovingly care for one another, and boldly proclaim Jesus as Savior to the unbelieving world (Acts 2:42-48).


Gathering to Grow in Christ
[The believers] devoted themselves to ?the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, ?to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Acts 2:42

In Monterey Bay, California, a boat captain saw fifteen Pacific white-sided dolphins join a super pod of more than two thousand dolphins. Various types and ages of dolphins gather in pods to fend off predators, feed, and socialize. Still, the size and diversity of this super pod was a rare sight to behold.

The Bible records a rare gathering of diverse people that’s foundational in our faith history. As the disciples celebrated Pentecost in Jerusalem, “a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting” (Acts 2:2). They were “filled with the Holy Spirit,” who enabled them to speak in different languages (v. 4). People God created “from every nation under heaven” had also gathered for Pentecost (v. 5). When they investigated the loud noise, each person “heard their own language being spoken” by the disciples (v. 6). Then Peter proclaimed Jesus as “both Lord and Messiah” (v. 36). About three thousand believed and were baptized (v. 41). As God’s people lived in community like never before, He “added to their number daily those who were being saved” (v. 47).

By the power of the Holy Spirit, God’s people around the world still gather to grow in community and proclaim Jesus as Lord. Through us, He will continue expanding His kingdom.

Reflect & Pray
How are you gathering to grow with God’s diverse people? How has He used people who are different from you to grow your faith and His church?

Dear God, please grow Your church as I gather to grow with others.


My Utmost for His Highest, by Oswald Chambers
Tuesday, September 01, 2026
Destiny of Holiness

Be holy, because I am holy. — 1 Peter 1:16

Continually restate to yourself the purpose of your life: God’s destiny for humanity isn’t happiness or wealth; it’s holiness. His one aim, for all men and women, is to turn us into his sons and daughters. God isn’t an eternal blessing machine, and he didn’t come to save humanity out of pity. He came to save humanity because he created us to be holy. The atonement means that through the death of Jesus Christ, God can put each of us back into perfect union with himself, without a shadow in between.

Do I believe I need to be holy? Do I believe God can come into me and make me holy? If a preacher, by preaching the gospel, convinces me that I am unholy, I will resent it. The preaching of the gospel always awakens intense resentment, because it reveals that I am unholy. Yet it also awakens an intense craving: the craving to realize the destiny God has for me.

Today, far too many things are calling to us. Some of these things aren’t inherently bad; they’re good and noble and morally justifiable things. But if they are distracting us from our relationship with God, he will take them away until we get right with him. What matters is that we accept the God who will make us holy. At all costs, we must be rightly related to him.

Never adopt any practice that isn’t in keeping with a holy God. Guard against any sympathy for yourself or for others that causes you to tolerate unholy thoughts or deeds. Holiness means keeping every detail of your life under God’s scrutiny. It means unsullied thinking with the mind, unsullied talking with the tongue, and unsullied walking with the feet. Holiness is not only what God gives; it’s manifesting what God gives: “Be holy, because I am holy.”

Psalms 135-136; 1 Corinthians 12
 
WISDOM FROM OSWALD
It is perilously possible to make our conceptions of God like molten lead poured into a specially designed mould, and when it is cold and hard we fling it at the heads of the religious people who don’t agree with us.
Disciples Indeed, 388 R

A Word with You, by Ron Hutchcraft
Tuesday, September 01, 2026

Why We're Restless - #10342

Scripture:  2 Chronicles 7:14
It’s not my habit usually to go home for lunch but sometime ago my travels had me at the right place at the right time. I had an early breakfast that morning, and I usually do get up that early. Finally, I got around to lunch, I was really hungry. I came in ready for a major lunch. I grilled a hot dog in the toaster oven. That was a good start, and then my wife went to cook some more things on the stove for me. Would you believe that the stove decided not to work at that point? And she said, “Wait a minute! Nothing’s heating up.” I said, “Well, that’s okay. I know there are some chips here. I’ll just load up on potato chips.” So, I went to get the chips out of the cabinet. What chips? My son had fed them to his friends. So, I enjoyed my lonesome hot dog very slowly. I ate everything I was served. I was still hungry.

I’m Ron Hutchcraft and I want to have A Word With You today about “Why We're Restless.”

I’ve spoken in different congregations over the years and I’ve often told them, "I’m a restless Christian. I keep feeling like there’s got to be something more than I’ve experienced.” You should see the reaction. I don’t think I’ve been in a place where there haven’t been a number of people who have come up and said, “You too? Well, restless, that’s what I am.”

I’m still discovering believers all across this country who are feeling as I did after my little lunch. They’re eating everything they’re being served spiritually. They go to the meetings, they’re going to the activities, they’re serving in their places that they need to serve, but they’re still not satisfied. Are you like that? You say, “I’ve eaten everything I’ve been given and I’m not satisfied.” Good! That kind of unsatisfied appetite sets the stage for a banquet that God wants to feed His people, and He calls it revival.

It’s time for our word for today from the Word of God, 2 Chronicles 7:14. “If My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and will heal their land.” Now you know, for centuries, restless people have been drawn to this verse; it’s the appetizer for the banquet called revival. It calls God’s people to create the conditions in which God can spawn revival.

Revival isn’t some special series of meetings that we hold. Charles Finley, the great revival preacher, said, “It is the renewal of the first love of Christians, resulting in the awakening and conversion of sinners to God.” Revival is the supernatural arrival and presence of the Holy Spirit in a way we’ve never seen Him - a unique power. Christians open up everything to the Lord; whole churches are changed. People begin to deal with all the darkness in their lives. Christians run to reconcile with each other. The lost are swept into the church even without evangelistic crusades. Aren’t you hungry for something like that? Oh, it’s happened. But it happens when you are restless enough to pay the price for it.

Why don’t you begin to band together with some other restless Christians and beseech God to do a reviving work where you are? That prayer movement is growing around the world. Let it start with you. Humble yourself in a desperate prayer to God, “Lord, I give up on trying to make things happen myself.” Forget the programs and the schedules, and all the old ways and the boxes we’ve kept God in. And then this verse says, “Pray.” Seek His face; look for intimacy with Him. Root out those sinful strongholds. You’ll begin to know Christ as you’ve never known Him before.

If all your work, and all your meetings, and your study, and your experience, and your theology still have you hungry, go for the banquet. Join the growing ranks of believers all over the world who are saying, “Lord, I’m radically Yours. Whatever it takes, satisfy our hungry hearts with a revival from heaven. We will pay the price. Jesus, please give us all of You.”

No comments:

Post a Comment