Confirming One’s Calling and Election

2 Peter 1:5-7 5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Psalm 40, Bible Reading and Daily Devotionals

Max Lucado Daily: GOD’S NEAR PRESENCE - July 29, 2026

God repeatedly pledges his presence to his people. To Abram, God said, “Do not be afraid…I am your shield, your exceedingly great reward” (Genesis 15:1 NKJV). God told Joshua, “Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go” (Joshua 1:9 NIV).

In the ultimate declaration of communion, God called himself Immanuel, which means, “God with us.” He became flesh. He became sin. He defeated the grave. He is still with us. In the form of his Spirit, he comforts, teaches, and convicts.

Don’t assume God is watching from a distance. Isolation creates a downward cycle of fret. Choose instead to be the person who clutches the presence of God with both hands. We can calmly take our concerns to God because he is as near as our next breath. And because the Lord is near, we can be anxious for nothing!

Anxious for Nothing: Finding Calm in a Chaotic World

Psalm 40

A David Psalm

1–3  40 I waited and waited and waited for God.

At last he looked; finally he listened.

He lifted me out of the ditch,

pulled me from deep mud.

He stood me up on a solid rock

to make sure I wouldn’t slip.

He taught me how to sing the latest God-song,

a praise-song to our God.

More and more people are seeing this:

they enter the mystery,

abandoning themselves to God.

4–5  Blessed are you who give yourselves over to God,

turn your backs on the world’s “sure thing,”

ignore what the world worships;

The world’s a huge stockpile

of God-wonders and God-thoughts.

Nothing and no one

comes close to you!

I start talking about you, telling what I know,

and quickly run out of words.

Neither numbers nor words

account for you.

6  Doing something for you, bringing something to you—

that’s not what you’re after.

Being religious, acting pious—

that’s not what you’re asking for.

You’ve opened my ears

so I can listen.

7–8  So I answered, “I’m coming.

I read in your letter what you wrote about me,

And I’m coming to the party

you’re throwing for me.”

That’s when God’s Word entered my life,

became part of my very being.

9–10  I’ve preached you to the whole congregation,

I’ve kept back nothing, God—you know that.

I didn’t keep the news of your ways

a secret, didn’t keep it to myself.

I told it all, how dependable you are, how thorough.

I didn’t hold back pieces of love and truth

For myself alone. I told it all,

let the congregation know the whole story.

11–12  Now God, don’t hold out on me,

don’t hold back your passion.

Your love and truth

are all that keeps me together.

When troubles ganged up on me,

a mob of sins past counting,

I was so swamped by guilt

I couldn’t see my way clear.

More guilt in my heart than hair on my head,

so heavy the guilt that my heart gave out.

13–15  Soften up, God, and intervene;

hurry and get me some help,

So those who are trying to kidnap my soul

will be embarrassed and lose face,

So anyone who gets a kick out of making me miserable

will be heckled and disgraced,

So those who pray for my ruin

will be booed and jeered without mercy.

16–17  But all who are hunting for you—

oh, let them sing and be happy.

Let those who know what you’re all about

tell the world you’re great and not quitting.

And me? I’m a mess. I’m nothing and have nothing:

make something of me.

You can do it; you’ve got what it takes—

but God, don’t put it off.

Our Daily Bread reading and devotion
Wednesday, July 29, 2026

TODAY'S SCRIPTURE
Proverbs 13:14-20

 The teaching of the wise is a fountain of life,

so, no more drinking from death-tainted wells!

15  Sound thinking makes for gracious living,

but liars walk a rough road.

16  A commonsense person lives good sense;

fools litter the country with silliness.

17  Irresponsible talk makes a real mess of things,

but a reliable reporter is a healing presence.

18  Refuse discipline and end up homeless;

embrace correction and live an honored life.

19  Souls who follow their hearts thrive;

fools bent on evil despise matters of soul.

20  Become wise by walking with the wise;

hang out with fools and watch your life fall to pieces.

Today's Insights
The book of Proverbs is a collection of wise sayings penned by several people. Today’s text comes from a portion of Scripture that King Solomon wrote. Tragically, the challenge was one that he himself failed to follow. He wrote, “Walk with the wise and become wise, for a companion of fools suffers harm” (Proverbs 13:20). Yet he’d surrounded himself with one thousand pagan wives and concubines (1 Kings 11:3), which was forbidden by God (v. 2), and they drew Solomon away from Him: “As Solomon grew old, his wives turned his heart after other gods, and his heart was not fully devoted to the Lord his God, as the heart of David his father had been. He followed Ashtoreth the goddess of the Sidonians, and Molek the detestable god of the Ammonites” (vv. 4-5). God desires instead that we surround ourselves with those who encourage us to love Him and others.

The Company We Keep
Walk with the wise and become wise, for a companion of fools suffers harm. Proverbs 13:20
by Marvin Williams

A scientific study revealed that watching TV programs featuring mean characters can actually lead people to be mean. Various forms of aggression—whether outright fighting or subtle gossip—primes viewers’ brains for similar behavior. This connection is often subconscious, meaning that even shows with seemingly “harmless” jokes at others’ expense can subtly influence how we treat others. So, too, the people we choose to spend our time with will affect our behavior.

Solomon provides timeless wisdom on this important subject: “Walk with the wise and become wise, for a companion of fools suffers harm” (Proverbs 13:20). He implies that individuals may not achieve this wisdom alone, so they should associate with wise, God-honoring people—teachers and friends—instead of those who are foolish. Surrounding oneself with wise individuals fosters “good judgment” and helps us steer clear of “destruction” (v. 15). One scholar calls this “education by friendship.” Regular companions inevitably influence each other, for better or worse. Solomon urges us to be aware of the company we keep, recognizing that “the teaching of the wise is a fountain of life” (v. 14).  

As God helps us, let’s consistently surround ourselves with people who will encourage us to revere Him, love others, and grow in wisdom.

Reflect & Pray

Why is it vital to learn from people who love others and act wisely? How can you encourage others to grow in love and wisdom?

Loving God, thank You for the people who’ve taught me wisdom, kindness, and love.

My Utmost for His Highest, by Oswald Chambers
Wednesday, July 29, 2026

What Do You See in Your Clouds?

Look, he is coming with the clouds. —Revelation 1:7

In the Bible, clouds are always connected with God. Clouds are those sorrows or sufferings or twists of providence that seem to challenge his rule. Seen apart from God, clouds look like accidents. But by these very clouds the Spirit of God is teaching us how to walk by faith. Without clouds, we would not need faith.

“Look, he is coming with the clouds.” Clouds are nothing more than the dust of our Father’s feet; they are the sign that he is here. God never comes in clear shining. What a revelation it is to know that sadness and bereavement and suffering are the clouds that come along with God!

It isn’t true that God wants us to learn something in our trials. Through every cloud he brings, he wants us to unlearn the things that are keeping us from a simple relationship to him. Sometimes we have to leave certain forms of religious activity and testimony alone until our relationship to God is simplified—until we have learned to turn to God, not to other people, for all our needs. The thought I should have is, “God and my own soul; other people are shadows.” Until other people become shadows, clouds and darkness will be mine every now and again. Is my relationship to God getting simpler than it ever has been?

There is a connection between the strange providences of God and what we know of him. We have to learn to interpret the mysteries of life in the light of our knowledge of God. Unless we can look the darkest, most atrocious fact in the face without questioning God’s character, we do not yet know him. “They were afraid as they entered the cloud” (Luke 9:34). Is there anyone besides Jesus in your cloud? If so, it will only get darker. You must get to the place where there is no one besides him.

Psalms 49-50; Romans 1

WISDOM FROM OSWALD
It is not what a man does that is of final importance, but what he is in what he does. The atmosphere produced by a man, much more than his activities, has the lasting influence. 
Baffled to Fight Better, 51 L

A Word with You, by Ron Hutchcraft
Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Gospel Without Detours - #10318

Scripture:  John 4:20
Our friends Marv and Annie were with us at a convention in Chicago. They’re from Denver; I was in my hometown. Annie’s doctor had let her make the trip to Chicago even though she was eight months pregnant. Well, we had a reception our first night at the convention downtown. I jokingly told her, “Hey, if the baby decides to come tonight, just call our room. This is my city, girl. I’ll take care of everything!” Yeah, well, it didn’t turn out to be a joke. The call came in the middle of the night, and minutes later we had a lady in hard labor in my back seat. Oh, my goodness! I thought we’d have time to get out to our obstetrician in the suburbs. Not a chance! I had no idea where downtown hospitals were. I never needed one before. Oh, boy! I finally found one - a veterans’ hospital. No maternity ward! Well, eventually I found a hospital with great facilities - just in time. Today we all laugh about it, but it’s certainly not one of my proudest moments.

I’m Ron Hutchcraft and I want to have A Word With You today about “Gospel Without Detours.”

I almost messed up the beginning of a new life - all because I went in the wrong direction. That’s easy to do with what the Bible calls being “born again.” If you belong to Jesus, I’ve got to believe you know folks who don’t, and that you want them to be in heaven with you. That can only happen if they’re born into God’s family by putting their trust in Jesus Christ and what He did on the cross for them.

But that rebirth can be aborted if you go the wrong direction in sharing Christ with someone. See, there’s a detour on the road to Jesus and you’ve got to avoid that detour at all costs. I call it the trap - one that is so easy to fall into when you’re having a spiritual conversation. When Jesus was talking with the Samaritan woman at the well, she tried to deflect Jesus’ claim on her life by using the trap.

In John 4, beginning with verse 20, she tries to get Jesus to start down that deadly detour. Here’s what it is - talking religion. She said, “Our fathers worshiped on this mountain, but you Jews claim that the place where we must worship is in Jerusalem.” In other words, “Jesus, the issue is we have different religions. Yours is good for you; mine is good for me.” Sound familiar? Jesus won’t go there. In verse 24, He says, “God is a spirit, and His worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth.” In other words, “This isn’t about what religion you are, Ma’am. It’s about your relationship with God.” Then Jesus introduces Himself as the looked-for Messiah. Jesus makes Himself the issue, and He still is today.

There’s just too much at stake for you to allow yourself to fall into the trap of talking religion with someone who needs Jesus. The issue really has nothing to do with religion. It’s whether or not you’ve had your sins forgiven so you can have a relationship with God. It’s really all about Jesus and all about his cross.

Paul said that in 1 Corinthians 2:2 when he said, “I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified.” It’s not about your religion. It’s not about your religious rules. It’s not about your rituals. It’s not about Christianity. It’s not about Christians. It’s not about attacking their lifestyle. It’s all about Jesus. So stick to Jesus. Keep bringing it back to Jesus; bring them back to His cross.

Your mission is clear. To take a person that you care about by the hand and lead them up Skull Hill to the foot of an old rugged cross, and point to the Son of God dying for them, and say, “Man, this is how much He loves you.” Any other direction is the wrong direction - one that leads away from the Jesus that they need. So, take them straight to Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment