Confirming One’s Calling and Election

2 Peter 1:5-7 5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, August 13, 2026

Psalm 101, Bible Reading and Daily Devotionals

Max Lucado Daily: THE ENEMY OF THE SAINT - August 13, 2026

The prophet Elijah was headline news in the nation. He was also a sitting duck for a big head. So, in a preemptive measure, God led him to a creek where Elijah would be utterly dependent upon a brook for water and some birds for food.

The enemy of the saint is pride. We must fight it like the foe it is. Take note of your “hat size.” Are you getting a big head? Then volunteer for menial tasks—wash dishes, sweep floors.

You are loved but not indispensable. You are God’s child but not God’s golden child. You have a place in God’s plan, but you are not essential to God’s plan. The smaller we are, the more room there is for God.

Unbreakable Courage

Psalm 101

A David Psalm

1–8  101 My theme song is God’s love and justice,

and I’m singing it right to you, God.

I’m finding my way down the road of right living,

but how long before you show up?

I’m doing the very best I can,

and I’m doing it at home, where it counts.

I refuse to take a second look

at corrupting people and degrading things.

I reject made-in-Canaan gods,

stay clear of contamination.

The crooked in heart keep their distance;

I refuse to shake hands with those who plan evil.

I put a gag on the gossip

who bad-mouths his neighbor;

I can’t stand

arrogance.

But I have my eye on salt-of-the-earth people—

they’re the ones I want working with me;

Men and women on the straight and narrow—

these are the ones I want at my side.

But no one who traffics in lies

gets a job with me; I have no patience with liars.

I’ve rounded up all the wicked like cattle

and herded them right out of the country.

I purged God’s city

of all who make a business of evil.

Our Daily Bread reading and devotion
Thursday, August 13, 2026
by John Blase

TODAY'S SCRIPTURE
Acts 22:12-16

“And that’s when I met Ananias, a man with a sterling reputation in observing our laws—the Jewish community in Damascus is unanimous on that score. He came and put his arm on my shoulder. ‘Look up,’ he said. I looked, and found myself looking right into his eyes—I could see again!

14–16  “Then he said, ‘The God of our ancestors has hand-picked you to be briefed on his plan of action. You’ve actually seen the Righteous Innocent and heard him speak. You are to be a key witness to everyone you meet of what you’ve seen and heard. So what are you waiting for? Get up and get yourself baptized, scrubbed clean of those sins and personally acquainted with God.’

Today's Insights
Why do we believe the apostle Paul had no children? We can infer this from what the Bible tells us about him. By his own admission, it seems he didn’t have a wife (1 Corinthians 9:5). And prior to his conversion to Christ, he’d been a law-abiding Pharisee “zealous for God” (Acts 22:3). It’s highly unlikely that such a law-keeper would have children outside of marriage. It’s possible that Paul may have been married and then widowed, but there’s no indication of this in Scripture. In addition, he strongly implies that he has the gift of singleness (1 Corinthians 7:7). Twice he refers to “my true son” in the faith (1 Timothy 1:2; Titus 1:4). But “son” refers to spiritual children he introduced to Jesus and then discipled, not to physical progeny. Today, we can ask God to help us share our faith with the children and others that God places in our path.

Jesus’ Witness
You will be [Jesus’] witness to all people of what you have seen and heard. Acts 22:15

I’ve heard it said, “We can’t make our children believe. We can only give our children reason to believe what we believe.” That’s a wise observation—but how do we do it?

Of all people to take parenting advice from, the apostle Paul is seldom the first choice. It’s likely that he had no children. Parents often prefer to hear from someone who’s been there, done that, someone who knows about sleepless infants, the storms of puberty, and how it feels to pray for a prodigal. Yet Paul (or Saul) has something to teach us here.

Saul had been on his way to persecute Christians when Christ intervened. This man fell to the ground, blinded (Acts 9:1-9). Soon he was visited by Ananias, who restored his sight and explained his mission: “The God of our ancestors has chosen you to know his will and to see the Righteous One and to hear words from his mouth. You will be his witness to all people of what you have seen and heard” (22:14-15). Saul, later called Paul, did witness, and God gave him a quiverful of spiritual offspring. His “parenting approach” was to share what he’d seen, and to pray.

Whether parenting our own children or interacting with others, we can’t make them believe. Rather, we witness with our words and lives as to what we’ve seen and heard. And we pray. Our God, who sent Paul to the gentiles, sends us with the same instruction: Witness so they may believe. Then entrust them to our Father, who loves them.

Reflect & Pray

What children are in your sphere of influence? How might you share your faith with them?
Heavenly Father, may our children believe in You.

My Utmost for His Highest, by Oswald Chambers
Thursday, August 13, 2026
Do Not Quench the Spirit

Do not quench the Spirit. — 1 Thessalonians 5:19

The voice of the Spirit is as gentle as a zephyr, so gentle that unless you are living in perfect communion with God, you never hear it. The checks of the Spirit come in the most extraordinarily gentle ways, and if you are not sensitive enough to detect them, you will quench the Spirit, and your personal spiritual life will be harmed. His checks always come as a still small voice, so small that no one but the saint notices.

When you give testimony about your relationship with the Spirit, beware if you find yourself having to look back and say, “Once, many years ago, I was saved . . .” If you are walking in the light, there’s no need to reminisce. The past is transfused into the present wonder of communion with God. If you stop walking in the light in the present moment, you will become a sentimental Christian, living on memories of feelings. A hard, metallic note will creep into your testimony. Beware of trying to patch up a present refusal to walk in the light by recalling past experiences when you did. Whenever the Spirit warns you that something isn’t right, call a halt and rectify the situation, or else you will go on hurting him without knowing it.

Suppose God has brought you to a crisis, and you nearly go through it, but not quite. God will engineer the crisis again, but it won’t be as clear and as sharp to you as it was before. You will have less discernment from God and more humiliation at not having obeyed the first time. Go on grieving his Spirit, and a time will come when the crisis cannot be repeated, because you will have grieved the Spirit away.

Never sympathize with the thing that is grieving God. The thing must go; God has to hurt it until it does.

Psalms 87-88; Romans 13 
 
WISDOM FROM OSWALD
We begin our Christian life by believing what we are told to believe, then we have to go on to so assimilate our beliefs that they work out in a way that redounds to the glory of God. The danger is in multiplying the acceptation of beliefs we do not make our own.
Conformed to His Image, 381 L

A Word with You, by Ron Hutchcraft
Thursday, August 13, 2026

Desperate for An Answer - #10329

Scripture:  Matthew 5:6
Sometimes I wish it were in my power to get every church youth group in America to go on a missions trip. Something unusual happens when some all-American kids suddenly get plunged into another culture to do some work in Jesus' name. It does something for the people they go to help, but I think it does more for the kids who are doing the helping. I heard a local youth group report on their trip to Mexico. Basically they had all of their support stripped away from them while they were there. It was a language they weren't accustomed to, the money was different, they didn't have the comforts they were used to, they had some spiders hanging over them as they slept at night which they for the most part don't have at home. They had unfamiliar food. The customs were things they weren't used to.

The result on these mission trips is pretty predictable. All of a sudden, kids who never have devotions are up early in the morning on a rock with a Bible somewhere. Kids who have always thought prayer was boring are saying, "Let's pray!" What they learn several thousand miles from home is something you may need to learn right where you are today.

I'm Ron Hutchcraft and I want to have A Word With You today about "Desperate for An Answer."

Our word for today from the Word of God comes from Matthew 5:6. You might recognize this as being in what's called The Beatitudes, Jesus' Sermon on the Mount. He says, "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled." I think Jesus is describing spiritual health here in terms similar to what we do when we talk about physical health - appetite. How's your appetite? And He is talking about people who say, "I'm hungry for the Lord; I'm thirsty for the Lord. I need more of You, Lord. I need You!"

Those kids on that missionary trip are learning a valuable lesson. With all of their usual dependencies stripped away, they find out that you know the Lord when you need the Lord. Maybe that's why third-world Christians have so much more power in their lives, and have so much more revival in their experience than we do. They don't have all of the props we do, and it seems that those who know the Lord the best are those who need Him the most.

We dig deeply into the Lord when the bottom drops out. I'm sure you have. I have. And then, once things have stabilized, we tend to return to our old props. We tend to return to a casual Christianity instead of this desperately dependent but very rich faith. The fact is we desperately need the Lord every day, not just when the bottom drops out. We're as needy as the people in the third world. We shouldn't be confused because we've got internet, and movies, and concerts, and church services, and homes and all these other support structures. We just don't cling to Him because we're surrounded by so many other resources.

Do we have to wait for all our resources to be stripped away before we learn how much we need our Lord? Do we have to be starving to death before we get to be hungry for more of Him? "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness. They will be filled." See what we're missing because we haven't acknowledged how much we need Him?

Even now, why don't you ask the Lord (it's kind of a strange prayer), "Lord, make me desperate for You." He'd rather do it without trauma and without tragedy. Ask Him to give you a new hour-by-hour sense of your desperate need for Him; an hour-by-hour dependency; the child on his Heavenly Father. And then live today as if God is your only hope, not just one of your many resources. When you need the Lord desperately, you get to know Him deeply.

No comments:

Post a Comment