Confirming One’s Calling and Election

2 Peter 1:5-7 5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, September 11, 2026

Proverbs 7, Bible Reading and Daily Devotionals

Max Lucado Daily: HEAR THE VOICE OF GOD - September 11, 2026

Immediately after the Mount Carmel experience, Elijah instructed Ahab, “Go, eat and drink, for there is the sound of a heavy rain” (1 Kings 18:41 NIV). But then we read that the sky was cloudless. How do we explain his announcement? I found the answer in the Hebrew word that is translated sound. Elijah was choosing to hear God’s covenant and disregard the circumstances.

The circumstances: the silent sky, the blazing sun, dearth of clouds. The promise of God, the words spoken to Elijah, said, “Pull out your umbrella.” Elijah chose to hear the “voice” of God’s promise.

What about us? Multiple times each day, we choose the message we follow. Are we reeling from the problems, or are we standing on God’s promises? 

Unbreakable Courage

Proverbs 7

Dressed to Seduce

1–5  7 Dear friend, do what I tell you;

treasure my careful instructions.

Do what I say and you’ll live well.

My teaching is as precious as your eyesight—guard it!

Write it out on the back of your hands;

etch it on the chambers of your heart.

Talk to Wisdom as to a sister.

Treat Insight as your companion.

They’ll be with you to fend off the Temptress—

that smooth-talking, honey-tongued Seductress.

6–12  As I stood at the window of my house

looking out through the shutters,

Watching the mindless crowd stroll by,

I spotted a young man without any sense

Arriving at the corner of the street where she lived,

then turning up the path to her house.

It was dusk, the evening coming on,

the darkness thickening into night.

Just then, a woman met him—

she’d been lying in wait for him, dressed to seduce him.

Brazen and brash she was,

restless and roaming, never at home,

Walking the streets, loitering in the mall,

hanging out at every corner in town.

13–20  She threw her arms around him and kissed him,

boldly took his arm and said,

“I’ve got all the makings for a feast—

today I made my offerings, my vows are all paid,

So now I’ve come to find you,

hoping to catch sight of your face—and here you are!

I’ve spread fresh, clean sheets on my bed,

colorful imported linens.

My bed is aromatic with spices

and exotic fragrances.

Come, let’s make love all night,

spend the night in ecstatic lovemaking!

My husband’s not home; he’s away on business,

and he won’t be back for a month.”

21–23  Soon she has him eating out of her hand,

bewitched by her honeyed speech.

Before you know it, he’s trotting behind her,

like a calf led to the butcher shop,

Like a stag lured into ambush

and then shot with an arrow,

Like a bird flying into a net

not knowing that its flying life is over.

24–27  So, friends, listen to me,

take these words of mine most seriously.

Don’t fool around with a woman like that;

don’t even stroll through her neighborhood.

Countless victims come under her spell;

she’s the death of many a poor man.

She runs a halfway house to hell,

fits you out with a shroud and a coffin.

Our Daily Bread reading and devotion
Friday, September 11, 2026
by Nancy Gavilanes

TODAY'S SCRIPTURE
Psalm 30:2-13

God, my God, I yelled for help

and you put me together.

God, you pulled me out of the grave,

gave me another chance at life

when I was down-and-out.

4–5  All you saints! Sing your hearts out to God!

Thank him to his face!

He gets angry once in a while, but across

a lifetime there is only love.

The nights of crying your eyes out

give way to days of laughter.

6–7  When things were going great

I crowed, “I’ve got it made.

I’m God’s favorite.

He made me king of the mountain.”

Then you looked the other way

and I fell to pieces.

8–10  I called out to you, God;

I laid my case before you:

“Can you sell me for a profit when I’m dead?

auction me off at a cemetery yard sale?

When I’m ‘dust to dust’ my songs

and stories of you won’t sell.

So listen! and be kind!

Help me out of this!”

11–12  You did it: you changed wild lament

into whirling dance;

You ripped off my black mourning band

and decked me with wildflowers.

I’m about to burst with song;

I can’t keep quiet about you.

God, my God,

I can’t thank you enough.

Today's Insights
Psalm 30 is a psalm of praise for the way God had delivered and healed David (vv. 1-3, 9-11). But as commentators Jacobson and Tanner put it, the psalm isn’t just a psalm of praise, but “a psalm about praise” calling hearers to “a complete life of praise.” It’s God’s merciful and restoring character that gives His people reason to live a life of praise (vv. 4-5). To be abandoned by God would be to be “silenced” (v. 9). But God won’t abandon us and instead comforts us in our sorrow and turns our “wailing into dancing” (v. 11); therefore, we have reason to “praise [Him] forever” (v. 12). Today, when we’re experiencing sorrow and pain, we can praise Him and turn to Him for comfort.

For further study, read: Past Rescure, Present Song

Divine Comfort
Weeping may stay for the night, ?but rejoicing comes in the morning. Psalm 30:5

The sound of the cascading water confirmed that I’d arrived at the 9/11 Memorial Pools in New York City, a place I’d avoided visiting for fear of being overwhelmed by sadness and grief from what took place there that tragic day in 2001. I walked around the two large reflection pools located where the Twin Towers once stood. It was deeply moving to see all the names of those who died etched on the walls—some with roses placed on them by loved ones.

I was in Manhattan on the morning of 9/11 but thankfully not near the World Trade Center. Still, as a native New Yorker, the tragedy hit too close to home. I was finally at Ground Zero, yet I wasn’t overcome by sorrow or fear. I felt peace as I stood there and recalled God’s sustaining grace. That peace was a gift from the God who knows how to comfort us.

As we read the Psalms, we see that David experienced sorrow, fear, and grief as well as divine comfort. In Psalm 30, he writes, “I called to you for help, and you healed me” (v. 2). “Weeping may stay for the night, but rejoicing comes in the morning” (v. 5). God turned David’s “wailing into dancing” and “removed [his] sackcloth and clothed [him] with joy” (v. 11).

When we’re feeling overwhelmed with sorrow, loss, or pain, let’s turn to the God of all comfort, who is close to the brokenhearted, and give thanks to Him as David did: “Lord my God, I will praise you forever” (v. 12).

Reflect & Pray
When have you experienced God’s comfort? How can you receive His comfort today?

Dear God, thank You for Your comfort.

My Utmost for His Highest, by Oswald Chambers
Friday, September 11, 2026
Ministering as Opportunity Surrounds Us

Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. — John 13:14

Ministering as opportunity surrounds us doesn’t mean choosing our surroundings; it means ministering wherever God places us. The characteristics we manifest now, in our immediate surroundings, show God what we’ll be like in other surroundings.

It takes all of God’s power in me to do commonplace things in the way God would do them. When Jesus washed his disciples’ feet, he was performing work of the most menial and commonplace kind, yet the way he performed it made it holy. Can I use a towel in the way Jesus used a towel? Towels and dishes and all the other ordinary stuff of life reveal what I’m made of more quickly than anything else. It takes God Almighty in me to do my chores in the way they ought to be done.

“I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you” (John 13:15). Watch the kind of people God brings around you. You will be humiliated to discover that this is his way of revealing to you the kind of person you’ve been to him. He is telling you to treat the people in your life as he has treated you. “Oh,” you say, “I’ll treat people as I should when I’m out ministering in the world.” That would be like trying to produce the munitions of war in the trenches; you’d be killed while you were doing it.

We have to go the second mile with God. Some of us get worn out in the first ten yards, because God compels us to go where we cannot see the way. “I’ll wait to obey until I get nearer the big crisis,” we say. We have to obey now. If we don’t practice walking steadily in the little things, we will do nothing in the crisis.

Proverbs 10-12; 2 Corinthians 4
 
WISDOM FROM OSWALD
Re-state to yourself what you believe, then do away with as much of it as possible, and get back to the bedrock of the Cross of Christ. 
My Utmost for His Highest, November 25, 848 R

A Word with You, by Ron Hutchcraft
Friday, September 11, 2026

There When You Fall - #10350

Scripture:  Lamentations 3:19
I happened to be there when my friend, Rick, tried a jet ski for the first time. Now, you may have seen those little water machines that look kind of like a baby snowmobile, and they’re a lot of fun. But it takes some skill to stay balanced on them as they start to take off across the water. Rick actually handled it pretty well for a while; he’s a good water skier, and that didn’t surprise me. But it was inevitable that he would eventually fall off. I expected that when he hit the water, that jet ski was going to take right off without him across the water. I wondered how he’d ever get back! It didn’t happen. That jet ski is designed to start going in a circle near you, and it did, and it circles until you can get back on. Well, that’s exactly what you need when you fall off.

I’m Ron Hutchcraft and I want to have A Word With You today about “There When You Fall.”

Our word for today from the Word of God comes from Lamentations 3, and we’re going to begin reading at verse 19. Now, you probably were not discussing Lamentations over breakfast this morning, but Jeremiah wrote it. It follows this long book that’s named after him. Of course, he’s a great man of God, but he’s a great man of God who knew about failure too. In fact, here’s what he says; maybe some things you and I can relate to. I’m sure we can. Beginning with Lamentations 3:19 and then ending with a phrase that you may have sung in church many times.

“I remember my affliction in my wandering…” Can you relate to that? He says, “the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them.” See, his mind is playing back failures. “My soul is downcast within me,” he says. “This really gets me depressed,” in other words. “Yet I call this to mind, and therefore I have hope.” Okay, the sun’s coming up now. “Because of the Lord’s great love, we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning. Great is your faithfulness.”

Jeremiah is reflecting on times when even the most committed of us believers fall off, so to speak, as my friend fell off that jet ski. And he captures the feelings very well. “When I fail my Lord I feel discouraged, I feel depressed, sometimes like, ‘What’s the use?’ But every new day, every morning His compassions do not fail, His mercies are new every morning. Every new day I find my Lord circling near me to pick me up even though I fell off.”

The prophet Zephaniah says, “Every new day, He does not fail.” Yes, when I looked at how that jet ski operated, I couldn’t help but think of how our Lord deals with us. It could be that even now you’re feeling crushed by a feeling of failure; you’ve let your Lord down, you’ve let yourself down, and you’ve let other people down. And maybe you feel like you’re just going to stay down. In fact, at times like these your feelings are telling you, “Hey, you fell off! And you know what? The Lord’s going on without you, buddy!” Wrong. “His mercies are new every morning.”

Jeremiah said, “My hope is every new day is a new start. Great," he says of God, "is Your faithfulness.” Not great is our faithfulness; great is His faithfulness. So, no failure needs to last more than 24 hours. Because there’s a new day, and there’s new mercies.

Today your Lord is there, circling faithfully. See, He stopped when you fell off, and He’s been lovingly waiting to pick you up and to get you off to a fresh new start.

No comments:

Post a Comment